If you’re sick of your gel manicure but don’t want to shell out for a professional removal, you can do it at home with a few simple supplies. Here’s how to remove gel nail polish:
1. Start by filing your nails with a coarse file to break through the top coat of polish.
2. Next, soak a cotton ball in acetone and press it onto your nail.
3. Wrap your finger in foil to keep the cotton ball in place, and repeat with all fingers.
4. Let your nails soak for about 10 minutes, then check to see if the polish is starting to lift.
5. If the polish is still stubborn, soak for a few minutes longer.
6. Once the polish is lifted, gently scrape it off with a cuticle pusher or orange stick.
7. Finish up by washing your hands with soap and water to remove any acetone residue.